Freshmen Baseball Player Khadeem Lewis Adjusts to College Life While Aiming High in His Baseball Career

Photo Provided by Khadeem Lewis

Freshman Khadeem Lewis is on the E&H baseball team and is adjusting to college life during his first year on campus.

Khadeem Lewis, a freshman on the Emory & Henry baseball team, is adjusting to life as a college student while batting for the stars in his baseball career.

Lewis says he chose Emory and Henry for many reasons, baseball being one of them.

“Playtime is a big factor and I can get away from my house to play baseball. … It’s a small school. That was one of the offers that fit my criteria. … It just turned to D II,” he said.

Though Lewis loves playing as an outfielder, his favorite position to play is batter.

“Seeing the ball fly off my back and hearing ‘OMG KD you hit that ball far.’… If you’re feeling bad go hit, if you’re feeling good go hit, if you’re feeling okay go hit. It’s part of the grind to be good,” he said.

Like many E&H sports, the baseball team saw an increase of freshmen this year. Lewis commented on this change and the way the team has interacted in these beginning weeks.

“Everyone is trying to feel everything out–who’s good, who’s bad, who’s a star, who’s not a good person.”

Lewis has also found players he admires on the E&H team. He mentions players like sophomore Jack Arnold.

“He’s an English major who speaks fast, has great rebuttals, I want to speak like that. … He’s good and I want to be that good.”

Lewis is also adjusting to his first year of college outside of the team. He shared some of the successes and challenges he has met so far.

“I am loving the freedom, being able to do what I want, and being able to feel grown,” he said.

Lewis works at the King Center weight room on campus alongside his classes and baseball practices.

“I am not balancing it well at all. … I have not gotten it together yet. A little bit but not all of it.”

As he figures out how to balance his schedule, Lewis is keeping his baseball goals in mind.

“I just want to be good at baseball. … The day I recognize myself to be good, or on top, or better than a specific person, to be good to my standards is when I win the game of baseball. I want other people to say that ‘this man is good.’”