New Application from the Van Vlissingen Center Gives Students the Upper Hand in Job Opportunities

The application has even connected current students to E&H alumni in prospective fields or industries.

Brandon Cox

Over 225 E&H students have already found employment opportunities through the Handshake application, with even more on-campus positions to be posted soon.

The Van Vlissingen Center for Career and Professional Development recently launched Handshake, an application designed to help students find employment, and as of Aug. 29, over 225 Emory & Henry students have found jobs through the application.

Lee Svete, the director of the Van Vlissingen Center, calls Handshake the “premier job and internship software” due to its reach across all 50 states and ease of communication between students at E&H and students at other colleges and universities.

Additionally, Handshake allows students to make appointments with the staff at the Van Vlissingen Center to receive assistance in creating resumes and cover letters. In fact, Handshake can house up to 25 different cover letters and resumes from one student, which the Van Vlissingen Center hopes will encourage students to apply to as many opportunities as possible.

Soon, more on-campus opportunities, like those within the department of Campus Recreation, will also be posted on Handshake.

“Handshake democratizes the job search market, and that gives students access to thousands of new employers on and off campus,” Svete said. “Students really are the priority.”

Svete also stated that students will be able to use Handshake for the rest of their life, and that many E&H alumni have already used it to connect with current students.

The Van Vlissingen Center staff will host workshops to assist students in operating Handshake and another new program offered by the same company called Card Swipe, which allows students to use their student identification cards to swipe into lyceums and appointments.

Students with any questions about Handshake or employment and internship opportunities should reach out to Lee Svete or Christine Arias at the Van Vlissingen Center.