Intramural Sports Return to E&H with a Bang

Emmett Donavan

Basketball, ping pong, and sand volleyball are a few of the many intramural activities happening on the E&H campus this fall.

Guest Contributor, Emmett Donavan
Campus Recreation is bringing back intramural sports at Emory & Henry with a bang, offering a variety of intramural sport events for students to participate in even during the first weeks of school.
Football, basketball and soccer are among the planned sports, and students can expect to see many more throughout the academic year. Ping-pong, dodgeball, and even a goat rodeo are all scheduled, as well.
Dylan Johnson, Director of Campus Recreation, explains that intramural sports at E&H are available to everyone.
“All are welcome regardless of experience level and our licensed instructors make it easy for beginners to learn quickly,” says Johnson.
Johnson also expresses that intramural sports can be a great outlet for students who are looking to relieve stress.
“Research demonstrates that physical activity can promote wellness throughout the body. … Individuals that are more physically active are less stressed, depressed, and anxious and within college age students, there is a direct relationship between physical activity and performance in classes.”
Intern with campus recreation and E&H senior Ethan Taylor also recommends that students participate in the events.
“We are an inclusive program that puts an emphasis on having fun while continuing to stay active,” Taylor said.
Regarding COVID-19 regulations, Johnson says that registered participants can expect similar protocols to the E&H Athletics Department. Participants will be screened for vaccination status, and any unvaccinated individuals will be required to receive a negative test result within 24 hours of an event.
Campus recreation continues to work with college officials to create a COVID-19 safe environment for anyone who is interested in participating, Johnson states.
Interested students can create a free account on IMLeagues.com or the IMLeagues app, to start forming teams and to stay updated on the planned events.