E&H Softball Returns To The Field After Covid Delay

Brittan Justice

Kendall Varner (#22, Senior) hits, Madison Harosky (#5, Freshman) pitches Softball Practice Photo

After a long delay, Emory & Henry’s softball team started off their season strong with a win during both of their meets on Sunday, February 14.

Due to the unexpected global pandemic, many sports seasons were cut short last spring, including softball. After an unwanted free period, the softball team was finally able to begin their season last weekend, which came with a few changes due to the ongoing virus.

Masks are worn whenever the team is not able to practice the appropriate social distancing guidelines, including practices and games.

Senior Kyndall Hiatt said, “sometimes it can be hard to breathe, but we don’t complain and follow the guidelines without question. We respect that masks protect us and we don’t consider wearing a mask to be a challenge.”

Each player is doing their part to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by continuously sanitizing everything, and head coach Tommy Forrester also notices what the team is doing off the field.

“They aren’t out on a Friday night like a regular college student because their focus is on softball,” Forrester said.

“We hold each other accountable to follow the guidelines,” said Hiatt.

The one restriction that has affected the team the most is not being able to have fans in the stands. Hiatt said, “We are devastated that the school has opted to not allow fans at our games. Looking out in the stands and not seeing my dad this past weekend hurt.”

Even though times are unprecedented, it does not stop the team from playing the sport they devoted their lives to. Forrester says he has a strong team that is focused and working really hard this season to have a great year.

Senior Allyson Steadman said, “This season, I am really confident in our team and our abilities. We have been mentally preparing to be flexible and open to anything happening this year. We are just moving with the flow and trying to have a little fun along the way!”

The team was anxiously waiting for this season with a chip on their shoulder from unfinished business from last semester.

“The sweep this weekend was a team effort,” Hiatt said. “Pitchers were lights out, defense made some crazy plays to save runs, and several team members stepped up in key situations for us at the plate. We will never be satisfied, but this weekend was a glimpse into how special this season can be.”