First Action of E&H Wrestling Team

Quatez Walker, Guest Contributor

After the announcement last spring about the new wrestling program that was being established at Emory & Henry College, the team just competed in their first ever matches. Led by Coach Pete Hansen, the inaugural wrestling season began this past week as the Wasps hosted the Averett Cougars, the Wasps losing 57-0, then competed in the Star City Classic this past weekend.

Blaze Hughes received the first pin and win registered to the Wasps in the exhibition match against the Cougars. Hughes, a second-year E&H student from Chilhowie, stated, “getting the win was both a really stressful and weight lifting experience.” Hughes continued, “I was very nervous coming into my first collegiate match, but I trusted my coaches and teammates to push me to be ready for that moment.”

Ending the night, junior Donovan Pinnix received another pin and win. “It was a close set and I knew I needed to dig deep,” Pinnix reflected, in receiving his first pin and win.

Over the weekend, eight Wasps participated in several more matches for their second competition of the season. Pinnix participated in four of five matches during the tournament, and won two of the four sets against fellow teammate, Hughes. Freshman Dalton Biggs added another pin and win to the Wasps total before he dropped (lost) a match. Freshman Josh Brooks began his day with a 39 second pin before dropping two matches. Sophomore Wade Wheeler dropped his opening set before earning a win via decision.

The Wasps will return to the mats Wednesday, January 20, as they take on the Panthers of Ferrum College.