DEI MARCHes Toward More Inclusive Campus Community

Members Aiming to Reconstruct and Challenge Heteronormativity (MARCH) is the newest organization sponsored by the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Student leader and DEI-Advocate Jacob Cordle started the organization.

Photo provided by Jacob Cordle

Guest Contributor, Hannah Medley

The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) now sponsors Members Aiming to Reconstruct and Challenge Heteronormativity (MARCH), an organization aiming to bring LGBTQ+ members of the campus community together.

This is the newest organization of its kind, following Men of Excellence (MOE), an organization aiming to support men of color on campus, and Women of Kolor (WOK), an organization aiming to support women of color.

MARCH was started by student and DEI Advocate Jacob Cordle.

“Through this group,” Cordle said, “we can identify and aim to change any possible situations on campus that oppose progressive experiences for queer people within the community.”

MARCH, like MOE and WOK, is an organization open to more than just students.

“All of the DEI supported groups are not intended to be exclusionary,” Cordle added. “Unlike the LGBTQ+ Student Union, which is student-led, this is a collaboration between all members of campus, including students, faculty, and staff.”

John Holloway, vice president for DEI, stated that his hope for MARCH is that it can be an overall “source of support.”

“With the assistance of faculty and staff members,” Holloway said, “students will have the benefit of sharing their experiences in a circle of support, while discussing ways to build community and awareness throughout the college.”

Holloway also feels other DEI-sponsored organizations like MOE and WOK are a positive asset to campus life.

“MOE, WOK, and MARCH have the potential of being bold new groups on campus that foster community and create awesome alliances,” Holloway said. “It is my hope that these groups will create lasting meaningful relationships that endure, and that they will create experiences to go beyond their time here as students.”

“No matter your sexual orientation, gender identity, or ‘coming out status,’ your story is important,” Cordle said. “You and your input matter.”