MSA Rekindles as its Student Unions Prepare for a Hopeful Semester

The Multicultural Student Alliance (MSA) and its 10 student unions are working to build membership and involvement in the new semester. Here, the MSAs initial members meet at the new Offices of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Damer House; photo courtesy of Calvin Joyner, director of student activities.

The Multicultural Student Alliance (MSA) and its 10 student unions are working to build membership and involvement in the new semester. Here, the MSA’s initial members meet at the new Offices of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Damer House; photo courtesy of Calvin Joyner, director of student activities.

Guest Contributor, Colton Williams

The Multicultural Student Alliance (MSA) has returned as its members hope for a semester of growth and opportunity for the campus community.

The MSA and its umbrella organizations, a collection of 10 student unions, were founded in 2018 when the Offices of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) wanted more involvement for students within DEI organizations.

“The MSA was born out of the need to create community and student involvement among the students served within DEI,” Vice President for DEI John Holloway said.

Over the next two years, a lack of student interest met the onset of COVID-19, and the MSA and its affiliates dwindled.

Now, students served by the Offices of DEI have expressed a great deal of interest in reviving the MSA into even more distinct student unions.

“The MSA and its student unions want the campus community to know that they are here and are very eager to start working with students,” President of the MSA Amari Jones said.

In terms of improving student involvement, the MSA also wants to allow the student unions to be adaptable and attentive to student needs on campus.

“We have been encouraging students to please let us know if there is not a specific student union on campus, and we will go ahead and get it started,” Director of Student Activities Calvin Joyner said.

“MSA is here to give marginalized students a place to gather, along with allies, safely and comfortably,” Jones added. “We hope that the unions will grow and strengthen the ties and understanding between all students on campus.”

The MSA and its student unions are looking for sign-ups overall, and they are searching for students wishing to represent the Appalachian Student Union and the Asian American and Pacific Islander Student Union. Any students with questions or interests regarding the MSA and its student unions should contact Jones at [email protected].