Men’s Soccer Season Ends

James Bruce, Sports Writer •

After weeks of losses Emory & Henry needed a vital win to get them back on track, and with any luck inspire some hope.

Firstly, they played Hiwassee and it took just eight minutes to break the deadlock, with Edgar Rivas breaking into the penalty box and providing a vertical ball across to Tyequis Stallins who tapped it into the right side of the net.

The Wasps managed to hold this lead until half time and with just nine minutes gone in the second half, Jordan Couch scored two quick goals to put E&H into a comfortable and almost unassailable lead.

He had successfully struck a free kick from twenty-five yards out past the keeper at the fifty second minute mark, and made it a three to nil contest just thirty-five seconds later from the top of the box with a one-timer set up by junior defender Nickolas Taylor.

The Wasps held on to secure their first win in seven games. It appeared as if things were perhaps looking up, however the next two games reduced the team back down to a brutal reality.

Their second game was against Washington and Lee, and it would set an unbreakable standard for E&H which they would not be able to top. After just two minutes
of play the ‘Washington and Lee Generals’ jumped out to an early lead as Kevin Molnar scored after a shot by Harry Pinkerton rebounded off the goalkeeper.

Twenty-two minutes later W&L made it 2-0 in the 25th minute as Harris Salom dribbled past a defender and placed the ball into the upper corner of the net.

Following this, to put the final nail in the coffin, W&L’s Nick St. Pierre lobbed up a cross to Reeves Duggan with eight minutes to go before the break. Duggan struck it off the crossbar for a ricochet over the goal line, making the margin rise to 3-0, which would go down as the final score of the match.

Their final game against Hampden-Sydney would be no different either. A lack of passing and communication was to be the Soccer team’s downfall, and within just eight minutes the opposition went in front after Spell Carr crossed a ball in from the left side, finding the head of Josh McCormack, who nodded it into the left side of the net.

E&H continued to fall apart further as within just twelve minutes of the second half, HS struck again when a penalty was awarded for a poor tackle and J.P. Reategui slotted it in for a goal. Finally, within another ten minutes Hampden-Sydney had scored again when forward Hunter Weiland dribbled it round the keeper in a one-on-one to take the game away from E&H for good.

Yet again, the Wasps had found a glimmer of hope only to lose it immediately with two poor losses to end a season of disappointment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s