Emory & Henry’s Annual Arts & Crafts Festival Returns for the 36th Year

Photo provided by Author

2021 marks the 36th consecutive year the Arts & Crafts festival has been held on campus and organized by the E&H Community Club.

Guest Contributor, Hannah Medley

Emory & Henry recently hosted the Arts & Crafts Festival on campus for the 36th consecutive year.

The college hosts this event to showcase local artwork, crafts, jewelry, pottery, paintings, baked goods, photography, and more, while also supporting the college.

This event gives local artisans a chance to showcase and sell their crafts and provide money for student scholarships on campus. Alumni, students, and other members of the E&H community were able to visit this annual festival free of charge on November 11-13.

The event is put together and managed by the E&H Community Club. Executive Director of Institutional Communications and member of the E&H Community Club, Jamie Smyth, had a large role in planning the festival this year.

“This event is a community celebration of creativity and entrepreneurship – which certainly fits with the Emory & Henry mission. Vendors and shoppers from all over Southwest Virginia participate,” Smyth explained.

Smyth believes that this event is special and always encourages anyone who is able to come and support the participants and the community.

“The fair is open to everyone at no cost. The vendors are paid a percentage of each sale so their creativity is supported and the community has a chance to own beautifully made regional craft items,” he explained.

All shoppers had to follow E&H policy and wear a mask at all times at the event, in order to allow everyone to remain safe from COVID-19 while also enjoying the festivities.

E&H student, Madi Codistopi attended the festival last year, and she got the chance to attend this year during the event’s preview sale.

“I always love seeing all the handmade gifts and items that are presented and the benefits that come from the fundraiser,” Codispoti said. “I love seeing what everyone has to present and knowing that they put such time and effort into creating such lovely things.”

The festival also gives community members the opportunity to support local businesses while also shopping for the holidays.

“Come and pick up something for yourself and support our special projects, scholarships, and programs that the proceeds of the event will go to,” Smyth said. “We come together to support each other.”

The festival was held from November 10-15 in the Memorial Chapel on campus.